August 25, 2009

Dish of the Week: Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

My mom is in town visiting and staying with us. We usually cook up a storm, but not this visit. This time we are working on painting our kitchen and dining room...which means very little cooking. But tonight my mom whipped up an amazing shrimp cocktail recipe she found in her local newspaper. It is almost a cross between shrimp cocktail and a spicy gazpacho. So delicious! Hubby insisted on grilled halibut to go with it...but I seriously could have just had the cocktail and some fresh bread. The kids ate my halibut and I had seconds on the shrimp cocktail.

My mom is sitting next to me in her pajamas and I'm literally making her recite the recipe. What can I say?


Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

1 lb cooked shrimp, cleaned & deveined*
1 tomato, chopped,
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded & chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 ripe firm avocado, diced
1 cup Clamato (more if desired)
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded & chopped
juice of 2 limes
salt & pepper to taste
tabasco to taste

Just combine all of these ingredients. Chill and serve! My mom says it's best if chilled overnight.

*Oh, my mom also says that the original recipe called for a different preparation of the shrimp. You were supposed to buy raw shrimp, cook them & add the juice from the cooked shrimp to the cocktail sauce. We didn't bother (because we are busy painting a kitchen), but I bet it adds the perfect brininess (is that a word?)


No comments:

Post a Comment