June 2, 2009

Dish of the Week: My Mom's Taco Soup

Are you sensing a theme yet? We really do eat things that aren't Mexican themed. I promise my next Dish of the Week will be anything but. However, this week I'm sticking with the theme and sharing my mom's taco soup. This recipe freezes really well and tastes even better the next day. In our house, tortilla chips are a must with this soup. This time I garnished with crumbled tortilla chips, homemade guacamole, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Both boys DEVOURED it!



My Mom's Taco Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef
1 package taco seasoning (or make your own! See my taco seasoning recipe below.)
2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 15oz can corn kernels, drained
1 15oz can kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans
4 - 6 cups chicken stock

Heat oil in a stock pot on medium/high heat. Saute onion until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add beef and cook until browned. Drain fat. Add taco seasoning, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn & beans. Stir to mix well. Add broth. We like our soup chunky, so I only use about 4 to 5 cups. But use 6 if you like your soup with more liquid. Bring soup to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado, olives, hot sauce, etc.


Taco Seasoning (minus the MSG!)

1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix together and store in air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment