May 12, 2009

Dish of the Week: Arroz con Pollo

It was 5:30 on Friday and I suddenly realized I hadn't started dinner and I didn't even have a dish planned. But I knew I had some chicken thighs in the refrigerator, so the options were endless. I decided to throw together a sort of Arroz con Pollo based loosely on a Dream Dinners entree we had once and a recipe on the back of a placemat we got at a kids' health event. I thought for sure I'd be serving chicken a la crapola, but it turned out to be delicious!!

Arroz con Pollo

1 bag "boil in a bag" brown rice
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 tsp cumin
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (you could also use breasts)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic salt
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Grease a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Empty bag of rice into bottom of dish. Then layer with black beans & corn. Sprinkle cumin on top. Top bean & corn mixture with chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix tomatoes, marinara, garlic, oregano, garlic salt and a little more black pepper. Poor mixture over chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven & sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment